And when I rendered the page, I ended up with nothing but a white form. Figuring that I had put something funky in the html, I rendered it in Internet Explorer. I got the same white background with no html rendering. My first thought was that something was causing cassini to crash during the request, but I wasn’t getting any errors.
It started working immediately. In fact, if I had bothered to open it up in Opera, it would have rendered just fine. Interestingly enough, Firefox is okay with self-closing script tags as long as the last script tag is not self closed. Interesting parsing behavior.
So anyways, I know I have come across this error before, and since I once again wasted a ridiculous amount of time on this; I wanted to get this up on my blog. Now I will remember it for the future and hopefully help someone else out in the process. Just don’t make fun of me too bad.
Loved the article? Hated it? Didn’t even read it?
We’d love to hear from you.
Happens to all of us at some time. I had the same brain fade just last month and also blogged to help remember 🙂
it happened to me once and wasted a lot of time.
it is really strange!
@Liam I wish I could have found that the other day, but of course google can’t find something when you are looking in the wrong place! 🙂
@Marwan Yeah, bizarre rendering bug. I wonder why it is hard for browsers to pick up the mistake and display an error.
I made this mistake too. I run the w3c validator once in a while to see if some more nasty tagging sneaked in my views.
This is the worlds suckiest browser bug ever! This has happened to me a few times and I actually solved this problem for another dev on my team the other day!
Been there, done that. You’re certainly not alone. 🙂
Leave a comment