We are looking for a thoughtful, detail-oriented designer to be the next member of our growing developer-owned, remote-friendly, people-first, hyphen-loving company.
Candidates need to have experience designing for screens and building components and layouts for the web. The ideal candidate would be eager to collaborate on a growing team with plenty of opportunities for shaping their own role.
If you have experience designing production web applications and are passionate about collaborating with clients and teammates, then we want to talk!
Skills & Requirements
- Loves to work directly with customers to solve business problems
- Experience designing production web applications
- Comfort with design, UI and prototyping tools (Figma, Sketch, Adobe Suite, inVision, etc…)
- Being within easy driving distance of Richmond or Charlottesville is a HUGE plus!
- Experience with HTML/CSS
- Experience with OOUX
- Comfort with accessibility
- Comfortable contributing code in varied templating languages and systems
- Comfort with version control (Github)
- Public portfolio
- Experience creating high fidelity mockups
- Ready to advise project teams on design principles, usability and interactions
- Ready to consult with project owners and end users to identify application requirements
Passion for at least a few of the following items
- Atomic design
- Component/pattern libraries and style guides
- Flexbox and grid
- Whatever is on the bleeding edge of CSS
- Clickable Prototypes
- User-centered design methods and techniques
- User research
- User testing
- Growing a product design team
What We Offer
- A Great Team – Our team of engineers and designers is the best part of working here. We only hire people who are fantastic teammates – competent and smart, sure, but also humble, positive, and generous.
- Great Clients – We work with mostly small and medium clients, for whom our projects make a huge impact. We prioritize clients who are pleasant and good to work with, people who share our values of transparency and empathy.
- Work From Home – We are a distributed company. Everyone works from home, though the leadership team all live in central Virginia.
- Negligible Travel – In general, we don’t travel routinely for projects. If this is a specific concern, we’re happy to discuss.
- Flexible Work Schedule – We require a certain amount of overlap with the rest of the team, but if you have a predictable schedule, we can probably support it, e.g., ending at 3:30 every day or being out every Friday morning.
- Good Work Life Balance (really) – We ask our team to work 40 hours a week*. That’s all: a good, productive 40 hours. And then we try our best to leave you alone off the clock. We do this in part because that’s how we want to live but also because we want our team to be recharged and ready to do their best when working. *If you need to work fewer than 40 hours, that might be possible too; let’s talk.
- Competitive Compensation – We offer highly competitive salary and benefits, including generous time off, 401k, FSA, medical and dental insurance
Simple Thread values diversity in all of its forms, and we hire the best person we can for each role, no matter your personal background. Research tells us that applicants who are female or non-binary, as well as applicants who are people of color, are less likely to apply for roles they do not feel 100% qualified for. If you think you meet more than 50% of our requirements but fewer than 100% of them, please apply. We’re imperfect communicators, so think of our job postings as the starting point for discussion rather than proof that you shouldn’t apply.