We are looking for a thoughtful, detail-oriented visual designer to be the next member of our growing remote-friendly, people-first, hyphen-loving company.
The ideal candidate would have several years of experience in professional visual design. They would have a strong desire to help grow and evolve our brand, and work directly with our engineering team to build beautiful and useful software with our partners. They would also be eager to learn, grow, and foster healthy working relationships.
If this sounds like you, then we want to talk!
Skills & Requirements
Do you love to work directly with customers to solve business problems?
We believe great software is discovered by understanding the core problems our clients are facing – and that is best achieved through frequent and direct communication with the subject matter experts. We provide leadership to support and guide interactions, but we need you to be comfortable talking with clients, discussing problems, and proposing solutions, which may not always be more software.
Do you have experience with visual and/or brand design?
We strive to support our team’s growth, learning, and taking on new roles at the edge of our comfort zones. At the same time, our clients expect us to bring a certain level of expertise. If you have never done professional visual or brand design, it is unlikely you will succeed here, even if you have other types of design experience.
Are you able to work remotely, within +/- 2 hours of US Eastern time zone?
We all mostly work from home. This requires the ability to self-direct and communicate well in writing. It also offers tremendous freedom and power, which comes with, uh, tremendous responsibility. We currently require our team to be within a 2hr time zone difference of Richmond, VA and physically based in the United States. Exceptions can be made if you’re willing to work east coast business hours.
- Being within easy driving distance of Richmond or Charlottesville is a huge plus!
- Experience with Design, UI and, prototyping tools like Sketch, Adobe Suite, inVision, Zeplin, or Figma.
- Experience with HTML and CSS.
- Bonus for having user experience skills.
What We Offer
- A Great Team – Our team of engineers and designers is the best part of working here. We only hire people who are fantastic teammates – competent and smart, sure, but also humble, positive, and generous.
- Great Clients – We work with mostly small and medium clients, for whom our projects make a huge impact. We prioritize clients who are pleasant and good to work with, people who share our values of transparency and empathy.
- Work From Home – We are a distributed company. Everyone works from home, though the leadership team all live in central Virginia.
- Negligible Travel – In general, we don’t travel routinely for projects. If this is a specific concern, we’re happy to discuss.
- Flexible Work Schedule – We require a certain amount of overlap with the rest of the team, but if you have a predictable schedule, we can probably support it, e.g., ending at 3:30 every day or being out every Friday morning.
- Good Work Life Balance (really) – We ask our team to work 40 hours a week*. That’s all: a good, productive 40 hours. And then we try our best to leave you alone off the clock. We do this in part because that’s how we want to live but also because we want our team to be recharged and ready to do their best when working. *If you need to work fewer than 40 hours, that might be possible too; let’s talk.
- Competitive Compensation – We offer highly competitive salary and benefits, including generous time off, 401k, FSA, medical and dental insurance.